[ cgl / g / mu ] [ index / top / reports / FAQ / DAAS / status / transparency / fuuka ] [ img-search ]
As Dark As My Soul v2 Yotsuba Green

/g/ - Technology (Full Images)

Now with more hardware failures. Any spare hardware to replace Dell OptiPlex 755?

Search: opal

View post

>> No.57660223 [View]
File: 214 KB, 499x368, giphy.gif [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
57660223

my opsec is compromised and opal is following me everywhere I go wat do

should I apologize? i'm sorry ok pls stop

>> No.57293283 (Deleted)  [View]
File: 96 KB, 1037x750, well.png [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
57293283

Should transphobic open source repo maintainers be removed from their projects /g/?

https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

>> No.56107047 [View]
File: 195 KB, 1033x984, enigma.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
56107047

Do you encrypt data on your HDD/SSD?
What method do you use (bit defender, truecrypt, LUKS, raw dm-crypt)?
Do you use the encryption feature built into your HDD/SSD (OPAL)?

>> No.54157090 [View]
File: 83 KB, 750x563, 1457904094291.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
54157090

Are these "OPAL 2.0 Capable" self encrypting SSDs worth it?

The 512gb SSD option from Lenovo doesn't seem to have this feature

>> No.52809908 [View]
File: 129 KB, 1684x1242, talos-opf.png [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
52809908

Talos workstation

A desktop computer that does not HATE and MURDER your freedom like most INTEL computers.

IBM POWER8 CPU
8, 10, and 12 core variants available (190W TDP)
8 DDR3 RDIMM slots w/ ECC support (2 memory controllers)
2 x16 Coherent Accelerator Processor Interface (CAPI) capable PCIe slots (8 shared lanes)
4 x8 PCIe slots
1 legacy PCI slot
6 SATA 6Gbps ports
1 HDMI port
8x USB 3.0
2 GbE ports
1 external RS232 port
2 internal RS232 ports
1 internal GPIO header
1 quiet heatsink with standard fan
Open-toolchain FPGAs
Blob-free operation

Fully open-source IBM OPAL primary firmware w/ PetitBoot interface
Fully open-source OpenBMC secondary (IPMI / OoBM) firmware

NO signing keys preventing firmware modification

Intel fags on suicide watch

>> No.52688118 [View]
File: 425 KB, 1200x800, 1453520077228.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
52688118

>program in ruby they said
https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

>> No.52595959 [View]
File: 954 KB, 225x201, 1386840752762.gif [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
52595959

This is only the beginning.

https://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004

https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

https://4fa6134ddde55ae0092b69e1eb287d2840301d0a.googledrive.com/host/0B6kjFNJtv3yzUjY4M21QenJzdGc/

>> No.51510082 (Deleted)  [View]
File: 159 KB, 500x407, why.gif [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
51510082

1 GamerGate
2 Space scientist
3 NodeJS
4 Opal

And now this https://github.com/NARKOZ/hacker-scripts/issues/14

>> No.51494842 [View]
File: 37 KB, 300x450, very-angry-nerd-11684341.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
51494842

In recent years there has been an large increase in social justice style complaints to open source projects. Some are by trolls, some believe in their cause, but in either case the damage they can do to a project is significant, both in terms of reputation as well as demoralization of contributors. Further calls are being made for biased "codes of conduct", "removal of gendered pronouns" from documentation, and other actions to promote the political platform of social justice instead of the wellbeing of the project.

We have seen this in events such as "Transphobic maintainer should be removed from project" https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

Clearly opal handled this situation poorly. But, how could they have handled this better? How can an open source project maintainer handle one of these "social justice" types without causing a shitstorm? How can their demands be handled without capitulation, and without the maintainers being branded homophobic, racist, misogynistic, etc?

Discuss.

>> No.51422026 [View]
File: 48 KB, 342x422, 1363890191915.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
51422026

Why are SJWs trying to ruin FOSS? It's getting to a point where you can't use github or bitbucket anymore without fear of being tarred and feathered. They're attacking linux and mozilla, not even mailing lists will save you soon.

https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

>> No.51416862 [View]
File: 48 KB, 342x422, 1363890191915.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
51416862

Why are SJWs trying to ruin FOSS? It's getting to a point where you can't use github or bitbucket anymore without fear of being tarred and feathered. They're attacking linux and mozilla, not even mailing lists will save you soon.

https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

>> No.49904281 (Deleted)  [View]
File: 205 KB, 838x855, ebin.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
49904281

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/golang-nuts/sy-YcVPADjg/bcO6LAr29EIJ

https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/942

https://github.com/bmuller/gender_detector/pull/14

https://github.com/opal/opal/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/24/9202067/mozilla-ceo-chris-beard-reddit-hate-speech

>> No.49442277 [View]
File: 293 KB, 850x510, progress.png [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
49442277

Is it worth staying on GitHub? With...

A community like this:
https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/15/5512462/github-developer-leaves-alleging-gender-harassment

The rising frequency of DMCA notices, and administrators unable to observe objectivity in being either too opinionated (PC), or too spineless, for these to happen:
https://github.com/WebMBro/WebMConverter

https://github.com/FeministSoftwareFoundation/C-plus-Equality

And less than two weeks ago, the newly enforced, censorship-ridden code of conduct, featuring such gems as:
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:

*Deliberate misgendering. This includes deadnaming or persistently using a pronoun that does not correctly reflect a person’s gender identity. You must address people by the name they give you when not addressing them by their username or handle
Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop

*Publication of non-harassing private communication

Our open source community prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. We will not act on complaints regarding:

*‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’

*Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions

Cissexism. What a world. Didn't think that would ever be a thing 10 years ago, did ya?

Read the official adoption notice: https://github.com/blog/2039-adopting-the-open-code-of-conduct

And find the full code of 'behavioral suggestions' here: http://todogroup.org/opencodeofconduct/

(cont)

>> No.49420891 [View]
File: 294 KB, 850x510, free.png [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
49420891

Is it worth staying on GitHub? with...

a community like this:
https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/15/5512462/github-developer-leaves-alleging-gender-harassment

The rising frequency of DMCA notices, and administrators unable to observe objectivity in being either too opinionated (PC), or too spineless, for these to happen:
https://github.com/WebMBro/WebMConverter

https://github.com/FeministSoftwareFoundation/C-plus-Equality

It's pretty much the de-facto project host right now, and the first place many employers turn to look for experience. Many universities are even requiring first year students create a github account for their classes.

Even with social controversy set aside, GitHub is so central to the current tech boom that any changes in policy (e.g., censorship) or sudden crash/shutdown could affect the world.

The only way its influence will wane and allow others to grow is by utilizing another service. I've been eyeballing gitlab (where you can use their server, or host your own - see: gitgud.io) and the relatively new gittorrent, a surprisingly well thought-out, decentralized git repo that takes advantage of blockchains.

inb4:
ignorant (I probably am)
overreacting ("If we would've known earlier..." when catastrophe strikes)
op can't inb4 (K)

>> No.49363520 [View]
File: 1.45 MB, 360x270, egR1p1b.gif [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
49363520

https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

>Kick this guy from helping develop this because he said some offensive shit towards trans people on his personal twitter
>No, we don't care what opinions a person holds or who they are as a person, they can contribute if they like and how good they are at that is all that matters
>YOU SHITLORD HOW DARE YOU EXCLUDE ME AS A QUEER PERSON YOU'RE MAKING ME FEEL UNWELCOME

Why do I keep seeing shit like this all the time, even in OSS? It's like these people totally agree with a merit based system and how no one judges you based on who you are as a person, but then they find people who they dislike because of their personal opinions and suddenly they want them to get the fuck out and they should no longer be allowed to contribute to a project anymore.

Will these people ever just fuck off?

>> No.48636393 [View]
File: 29 KB, 605x254, 2015-06-23-135037_605x254_scrot.png [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
48636393

There are no brakes on this train.

https://archive.is/1A8SQ#selection-755.0-755.115

Quo vadis, /g/?

PS: In case you missed it: The opal owner has gone full SJW and wants to censor contributors on twitter.

>> No.48598999 (Deleted)  [View]
File: 18 KB, 400x400, coralineada.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
48598999

go is going sjw
opal is going sjw
rust, mozilla, python

No counterpoints allowed - all are censored and hell-banned.

https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/954

What next /g/

>> No.48590781 [View]
File: 49 KB, 781x363, 2015-06-20-205101_781x363_scrot.png [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
48590781

Is this the end of SJW in IT?

https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/942#issuecomment-113801190

>> No.48575151 [View]
File: 14 KB, 96x96, 22284.png [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
48575151

What you cucks did to Opal?

https://github.com/opal/opal/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

>This Code of Conduct is adapted from the Contributor Covenant, version 1.0.0, available at http://contributor-covenant.org/version/1/0/0/

CONTRIBUTOR CONVENANT. He actually did it, and I bet it's your fault.

>> No.48569752 [View]
File: 72 KB, 1013x539, hep.png [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
48569752

Should transphobes be allowed to work on projects?

https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

>> No.48559828 [View]
File: 6 KB, 225x225, 019 2.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
48559828

>Transphobic maintainer should be removed from project
https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

>> No.46693015 [View]
File: 234 KB, 639x190, m.2.png [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
46693015

Greeting and salutations /g/
So, m.2 is still really new and for some reason people do not seem to be incorporating it much yet.. Some m.2 drives offer 1gbps read/writes which is insane. I recently got a new mobo which supports all the new m.2 drives but I cannot seem to find one that is faster then a standard ssd which supports hardware encryption & meet any of the standards (TCG Opal 2.0, IEEE-1667, and Microsoft eDrive)

Does anyone else out there know of a fast m.2 drive with encryption?

>> No.46018994 [View]
File: 42 KB, 600x427, 07-bus-card-readers-600x427.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
46018994

I am obsessed with embedded device security.
I am also obsessed with transport networking.
Does anyone have any information regarding the Opal Card system in place in Sydney, NSW?
Here's what I already know:

>the cards use NFC (DESFire EV1)
>cards transmit only an account ID to the reader; the software on the reader does the rest
>the readers' platform is Java
>all readers are networked with either an Ethernet cable or presumably 3G (for the bus & ferry implementations)
>all readers feature a MicroUSB(?) port on the underside, presumably for firmware upgrades
>no public API exists at this time
>transit officers and police are both equipped with portable, highly proprietary Opal readers which look futuristic as fuck. These are used for checking the tap on/off status of commuters' cards
>there are many different types of Opal readers - these include, but are not limited to standard 'pole' terminals at stations, small & compact readers on ticket gates, ePay terminal extensions (for topping up at convenience stores etc)

I've tried numerous Google searches and even had a look through the website of the agency (4design.com.au) which was contracted to design and install the Opal network.
Unlike a lot of public infrastructure here, the government seems to have kept the details for this project under very tight wraps. There are no operational or installation PDFs anywhere to be found, as opposed to the previous paper ticketing system Sydney had, for which there was heaps of info to be dug up.

Pic related, three types of Opal terminal.
Portable reader: http://i.imgur.com/pU7OXah.jpg

>> No.42953770 [View]
File: 114 KB, 1060x596, lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-t540p-side-10.jpg [Show reposts] Image search: [google] [iqdb]
42953770

Thinking about getting a t540p with an Opal hard drive.

Opal is self encrypting, supposed to take a password from the user @ boot, and is independent of the OS.

Read some of the drives only take 8 char passwords, some require software in your OS to work. In theory I'd love to have an Opal drive, but with all the FUD around non-audited solutions, I'm worried I should backout.

Did any of you get an opal drive from lenovo? How many chars in the password? Linux installs painlessly?

Thanks

Navigation
View posts [+24] [+48] [+96]